How to backup your user profile data
In this article, I will show you What and How to backup your user profile data. You may want to do this in case lets say you have purchased a new computer and you want to move all your data to the new computer.
In this demo scenario lets assume you have a computer running Windows 7, usually, the steps are same irrespective of which operating system you are using.
Things to backup:
- Backup your files on your desktop
- Backup your files in different libraries such as Documents/Music/Pictures & Videos
- Backup your bookmarks
- Backup anything on other partitions (for e.g: D drive)
Backup your files on your desktop
There could be two conditions here
- You are backing up data from your office computer.
- You are backing up data from your personal computer.
Well, the steps would be almost same to back up your profile data in both the cases except one thing.
In the case of office computer:
I would request you to check if it’s configured for folder redirection, you can confirm it by doing a right-click on documents under the start menu and checking the properties.
If you see it as c:\Users – then you don’t have folder redirection configured.
However, if you see “\\servername\sharefoldername” here it shows that you have folder redirection configured.
In the case of home computer:
Lets starting doing the backup. you will need an external USB/Flash drive to which you can copy your backup files.
Please, plug-in your USB/flash drive and let’s start the backup
- Launch Windows Explorer by clicking on the highlighted icon in the image below:
- Right-click on Desktop in the left pane and then copy and paste it into your flash drive.
3. Now lets backup other libraries as we mentioned in step 2 on top. (libraries such as Documents/Music/Pictures & Videos)
On the same picture above right click on other libraries one by one and start copying them to the flash drive:
4. Now lets back up all your Bookmarks. I assume you have Chrome Installed on your computer as its widely used browser.
Launch Chrome and then click on three dots listed horizontally on the top right of the browser and you will see this drop down (shown below), all you have to do it click on bookmarks and then bookmark manager from where we can export the bookmarks.
Click on export bookmarks as shown in the picture below and save it to your flash drive directly:
4. Assuming you are moving all your stuff/data to the new computer then I would suggest you to backup data from other drives too which you will be seeing under windows explorer.
That’s it you are done copying all your important stuff. You can paste them to the same locations as we copied from on your new computer and follow the same procedure to import bookmarks like we did to export and it should be all good.